Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Famous African Americans: The Forgotten Pioneer

Racial integration in sports has been a hot topic this week. If I had a dollar for every time my television mentioned Jackie Robinson, Jim Brown, Tony Dungy, or Muhammad Ali, I could start my own negro league franchise. Don't get me wrong, these men deserve to be celebrated, but, let me introduce to you a man that has not received such praise. Meet the first black character in a video game. He has no name. He has no recognition. No HBO specials or comparisons to our new President. Just a black man that stood up for what he believed in. In 1979, he ignored the racial barriers and entered the yellow and pink colored video game world via Atari 800's "Basketball." Today, we salute you, first black video game character. You may have been forgotten but your accomplishment will no longer be ignored.


[Vintage Computing And Gaming]

No comments: